- Every day, your heart creates enough energy to drive a truck for 20 miles (32 km).
- Your heart can keep beating even if it is separated from the body because it has its own electrical impulse.
- 75 trillion cells receive blood from the heart. Only the corneas don't.
- Having an orgasm at
least 3 times a week
- cuts in half the likelihood
of coronary heart disease.
- Your heart will pump nearly
1.5 million barrels of blood
during your lifetime, enough to
fill 200 train tank cars.
- Instead of chest pains, heart attacks in women have nausea, indigestion, and shoulder aches.
- Owning a cat can reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes by more than a third, researchers found.
- Multivitamins increase the risk of cancer and heart disease, according to recent studies.
- Your heartbeat changes and mimics the music you listen to.
- Your left lung is smaller than your right lung to make room for your heart.
- A man received the heart of a suicide victim, married his widow, and years later killed himself on the same way his donor did.
- Vegetarians are 19% less likely to die from heart disease, a study found.
- Eating dark chocolate every day reduces the risk of heart disease by one-third.
- Couples who are in love
after gazing into each others' eyes for three minutes.
- The human heart is not on the left-hand side of the body; it's in the middle.
- One-third of first heart attacks are fatal, and another third result in permanent damage to the heart.
- Smoking makes the risk of a heart attack 200% to 400% greater than that of nonsmokers.
- "Stayin' Alive" has the optimum tempo for performing CPR on someone who has just suffered a heart attack.
- People who work 11 hours or more a day are 67% more likely to have a heart attack than those with an 8-hour work day, according to a study.
- While sudden heart attacks during sex are rare, 75% of them happen to men who are cheating on their wives.
- The inventor of the heart stent approached numerous companies for funding and was rejected. It was funded by the owner of Fuddrucker's restaurant, whom he met by chance on a golf course.
- People who work 11 hours or more a day are 67% more likely to have a heart attack than people with an 8-hour work day, according to a study.
- A cocaine addict's heart can beat for 25 minutes outside their body.