- The estimated number of dinosaur species that existed in the Mesozoic era is between 1,543 and 2,468 species.
- The longest complete dinosaur is the 27 meters (89 feet) long Diplodocus, which was discovered in Wyoming, U.S.
- The smallest known dinosaur was about four inches (10 cm) tall and weighed less than a chihuahua.
- While dinosaurs were ancestrally bipedal, many extinct groups included quadrupedal species, and some were able to shift between these stances.
- Most dinosaurs are known from just a single tooth or bone.
- The word "Dinosaur" comes from the ancient Greek and means "terrible lizard".
- The dinosaur noises in the "Jurassic Park" movie were made from recordings of tortoise sex.
- One of the smallest dinosaurs discovered had the size of a chicken and ate insects.
- 40% of Americans think that humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time.
- Dinosaur feathers aren't just visually apparent in fossils, but have actually been found preserved in amber.
- Despite the title, most of the dinosaurs from "Jurassic Park" lived during the Cretaceous period.
- Villagers in central China have long been using dinosaur bones as medicine, thinking they were from dragons.
- In Europe before the 17th century, dinosaur fossils were generally believed to be the remains of giants and other biblical creatures.
- Fossils demonstrate that some dinosaurs slept with their heads tucked under their arms.
- At least 71% of dinosaur fossil records remain to be discovered, according to a 2006 study.
- Dinosaurs didn't roar; they may have mumbled with their mouths shut, research suggests.
- Velociraptors were no bigger than turkeys.