- The word "volcano" originally comes from the name of the Roman god of fire, Vulcan.
- On April 1, 1974, black smoke was seen rising from Mount Edgecumbe, a volcano in Alaska. When a Coast Guard pilot came closer to investigate, he found 70 tires burning and the words "APRIL FOOL" spray painted into the snow.
- The volcanic system beneath Yellowstone holds
- enough lava to fill 11 Grand Canyons.
- There are about 1,500 active volcanoes in the world.
- The extreme sport of "Volcano surfing" was invented in 2004 at Cerro Negro, Nicaragua.
- The Masaya Volcano located in Managua, Nicaragua, is getting Wi-Fi. Researchers are installing it to better predict the volcano's eruptions.