- 20,000 children die worldwide every day due to poverty.
- 80% of humanity lives on less than US$10 per day.
- If you earn more than US$21,000 a year, you are part of the richest 4% of the planet.
- The poorest place in the U.S. is Allen, South Dakota, where 96% are Native American.
- Sylvester Stallone was so poor, he had to sell his dog for $50. A week later, he sold the script for Rocky and bought him back for $3,000.
- of all American workers make less than US$30,000 a year.
- The richest 1% of the population owns 48% of the world's wealth.
- Lobster was fed to slaves because it was considered a mark of poverty prior to the 20th century.
- The poverty line in America was designed assuming every family had a housewife who was a skillful cook.
- The poorest 5% of people in the U.S. are still
- richer than 68% of the world's inhabitants.
- primary school age children across the developing world attend classes hungry.