- Australia was inhabited by indigenous people for about 50,000 years before the British came.
- Australia has the world's 12th-largest economy and it had the world's 5th-highest per-capita income in 2014.
- In Australia, there are more kangaroos than people.
- Australia is the world's sixth-largest country by total area.
- Australia has over 10,000 beaches. You could visit a new beach every day for over 27 years.
- The city of Melbourne, Australia, used to be called Batmania.
- In 1967, Australia's Prime Minister went to the beach for a swim and was never seen again.
- Australia is the only Western country in the world to not have a Bill of Rights.
- Many claim that a genocide was committed in Australia against its native people from 1910 to 1970 in an effort to create a "white Australia."
- Australia exports camels to Saudi Arabia.
- 75% of Australia's living species are unknown to man.
- because its explorers found the view from it sub-par and wanted to reflect that.
- In Australia, Burger King is called "Hungry Jack's".
- Australia's Highway 1 is the world's longest national highway. With about 14,500 km, (9,000 mi), it circumnavigates the entire country.
- There's a bookstore in Australia where books are wrapped in paper with short descriptions so no one can "judge a book by its cover."
- In Victoria, Australia, only a licensed electrician is allowed to change a light bulb.
- Australia is an island surrounded by more than 8,000 smaller islands.
- Burning Mountain, Australia, has an underground natural coal fire that has been burning for about 6,000 years.
- In 1892, over 200 people left Australia to create "New Australia," a utopian socialist settlement in Paraguay.
- You are required to show up to vote in Australia. If you don't, you'll face a fine.
- There's a river
- in Australia
- called the
- "Never Never River."
- In 2004, gay rights activists in Australia started a micronation in the Great Barrier Reef called the Gay and Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands.
- Lake Hillier in Australia is a bright pink color and scientists aren't sure why.
- The Church of Scientology runs a child labor camp in Australia.
- The Red Kangaroo is the national animal of Australia.
- Over 80% of Australian adults engage in gambling of some kind, which is the highest rate of gambling in the world.
- Australia is as big as the continental U.S.
- Australia has 31% of the world's uranium supply.
- The Australian Plate is moving about 7 centimeters (2.8 inches) northwards every year.
- In 2004, an Australian research institute published a study on the loss of teaspoons in the workplace.
- Australians are the world's biggest meat eaters, consuming almost 200lbs each every year, closely followed by Americans.
- The first heart transplant using a "dead heart" was performed by surgeons in Australia, in October 2014.
- Australia's first police force was composed of the best-behaved convicts.