- and became a Republic
until it joined the U.S. in 1845.
- Killing someone to prevent the theft of property is legal in Texas.
- If Texas were a nation, it would be the world's 7th largest oil producer.
- One of the widest freeways in the world is the Katy Freeway, part of the Interstate 10 in Texas, with up to 26 lanes across.
- Texas has its own pledge of allegiance.
- In Texas, it is legal to kill BigFoot if you ever find it.
- There's a massive abandoned supercollider in Texas.
- A city in Texas renamed itself to "DISH, Texas" in order to receive free Dish Satellite service for 10 years.
- Texas has 730 airports, second most of any state in the U.S.
- The Galveston Hurricane of 1900 in Texas was the deadliest natural disaster ever to strike the U.S., killing between 6,000 and 12,000 people.
- The name Texas is based on the Caddo word
- ‘tejas' meaning "friends" or "allies."
- Texas has at least 200 ghost towns.
- Texas is the second-most populous state in the U.S.
- The constitutions of 7 U.S. states (Arkansas, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas) specifically ban atheists from holding public office.
- During Spanish colonial rule,
Texas was officially known as the
- New Kingdom of the Philippines
Province of the Texas.
- It's illegal to own 6 or more dildos in Texas.
- Karl Marx thought of immigrating to Texas, going so far as to apply to the mayor of Trier, his birthplace, for an immigration permit.