- Sharks kill 12 people per year
- while people kill 11,417
sharks per hour.
- Whale Sharks can live up to 100 years.
- Sharks have an astounding sense of smell, so powerful that they can detect a single drop of blood in an Olympic-sized pool.
- Sharks will sink if they stop swimming.
- New Yorkers bite 10 times more
- people than sharks do worldwide.
- You are more likely to die from a falling coconut than from a shark attack.
- Sharks can be introverts or extroverts.
- There's a shark in Greenland that eats polar bears and can live up to 200 years.
- As soon as tiger shark embryos develop teeth, they attack and eat each other in the womb.
- Signs that a circling shark will attack: it will hunch its back, lower its pectoral fins and swim in zigzag motions.
- The "Shortfin Mako" Shark can accelerate faster than a Porsche.
It is believed that sharks first appeared
420 million years ago.
- Great white sharks can go for months without eating.
- Sharks can grow a new set of teeth in 8 days.
- Playing dead will help you survive a shark attack, MythBusters confirmed.
- The author of Jaws dedicated the last decade of his life to the preservation of sharks to make up for the mass hysteria he helped create.
- Because of female sharks' resistance, fewer than 10% of mating attempts actually succeed.
- The outside of shark teeth is made up of fluoride, the active component of most toothpaste, so Sharks never get cavities.
The skin of a female shark is much
thicker than that of a male
because males bite females
- About 50 different shark species glow in the dark. That's about 10% of all known sharks.
- Sharks have eyelids, but they do not blink because the surrounding water cleans their eyes.