- The Eiffel Tower was built for the 1889 Paris Exposition and was not intended to be permanent.
- The Eiffel Tower was going to be demolished in 1909, but was saved because it was repurposed as a giant radio antenna.
- Con artist Victor Lustig "sold" the Eiffel Tower to a scrap metal dealer.
- The height of the Eiffel Tower varies by 5.9 inches (15 cm) due to temperature changes.
- Inventor Franz Reichelt died by jumping from the Eiffel Tower while testing a parachute of his own design.
- 1,665 steps are needed to climb all the way to the top of the Eiffel Tower.
- A woman named Erika La Tour Eiffel "married" the Eiffel Tower in 2007.
- There are 20,000 light bulbs on the Eiffel Tower.
- There are over 30 replicas of the Eiffel Tower around the world.
- At the time of its construction, the Eiffel Tower was the tallest building in the world.
- The Eiffel Tower is not fully illuminated 24/7. Since 2013, it shuts off the lights at 1AM to conserve power.