- 1 out of every 8 Americans is from California.
- If it were a country, California would be the 8th economy in the world and the 35th most populous.
- California has been the birthplace of the film industry, the hippie counterculture, the Internet, and the personal computer.
- California 's official state animal, the California grizzly bear, is extinct.
- California has more than 130,000 people in prison.
- LSD was legal in California until 1966.
- was the first U.S. state
- a century ago.
- Los Angeles, California, is the second most populous city in the U.S.
- California has built 23 prisons since 1980. In the same period, the University of California system has opened just one new campus.
- There's a town named "Cool" and another called "Squabbletown" in California.
- In California and 3 other U.S. states, "Ladies' Night" are against the law because they are gender discrimination.
- There's a coast-to-coast hiking trail that stretches from Delaware to California.
- City of Industry, California,
- has a population of 219
- but is home to
- 80,000 jobs.
- Latinos now outnumber whites
- in California since 2015.
- California uses inmates to fight forest fires. Prisoners take the jobs because it reduces their sentence, gets them outside, and pays better than typical prison jobs.
- In 2010, some schools in southern California banned a dictionary for including a definition of oral sex.
- A light bulb that hasn't been turned off since 1901 still shines at a fire station in California.
- There's a microwaveable Burrito Vending Machine at a gas station in Hollywood, California.
- The Indigenous peoples of California included more than 70 distinct groups of Native Americans.
- Although only 1.5% of the state's economy, California's agriculture industry has the highest output of any U.S. state.
- California produces 80% of the world's almonds.
- The tallest tree and the largest tree in the world are both in California.
- A man in California got a personalized license plate that said "No Plate" and received more than 2500 parking tickets.
- It is illegal to distribute "revenge porn" (video or photos of your ex) in California since 2016.
- and on the opposite side there's a town called Mexicali.
- The most disproportionately common physical injury diagnosis in California is "Motor vehicle accident."
- Instagram data shows that Californians post the most driving selfies of any state population, while Mississippians post the least.
- California generates so much solar power that at times the state will pay Arizona to take it.