- Nelson Mandela's name at birth was
- "Rolihlahla" which means “troublemaker."
- Nelson Mandela slept on a thin mat on a stone floor for most of his 27 years in prison.
- Both of Nelson Mandela's parents were illiterate.
- Nelson Mandela lost his son to AIDS.
- Nelson Mandela was not removed from the U.S. terror watchlist until 2008.
- Nelson Mandela married the widow of Mozambique's President.
- During Apartheid, Glasgow renamed the street where the South African Consulate was located to "Nelson Mandela Place." Consular officials would be forced to look at his name when reading and addressing postal correspondence.
- Nelson Mandela was banned from entering the U.S. and needed a special waiver until 2008.
- Nelson Mandela's first son died in a car crash.
- Nelson Mandela has a cameo in the 1992 movie "Malcolm X" as a teacher reciting one of the civil rights activist's speeches.
- Nelson Mandela and Muammar Gaddafi were close friends.
- After suffering from a prolonged respiratory infection, Mandela died at the age of 95.
- Nelson Mandela's father was a polygamist, having four wives, four sons and nine daughters. Nelson's mother was the third wife.