- Elephants can hear one another's trumpeting calls up to 5 miles (8 kilometers) away.
- The largest elephant on record weighed about 24,000 pounds (10,886 kg) with a height of 13 feet (3.96 m).
- so they protect themselves
- with sand.
- About 100 elephants are being killed every day for their ivory.
- Edison electrocuted an elephant in 1903 to prove Tesla's AC current was dangerous.
- When the "Elephant Whisperer" Lawrence Anthony died, a herd of elephants arrived at his house to mourn him.
- of bees.
- Elephants are the only mammals, besides humans, to have chins.
- An elephant's pair of tusks may exceed 441 pounds (200 kg).
- Elephants are pregnant
for 2 years.
- On one episode of "Price Is Right," an elephant was offered as a "bonus prize." The contestant won, insisted on the prize, and a live elephant from Kenya had to be delivered to him.
- Elephants can detect rain 150 miles away.
- Mouse sperm is larger than elephant sperm.
- Female elephants have the longest reproductive anatomy of any land mammal: her vagina is located 1.3 meters into her body.
- Elephants know to come to humans for help (like if they've been poisoned) and can find us even over long distances.
- Elephants have 3 times the number of neurons that humans have, and no-one knows why they aren't smarter than us.
- An elephant's trunk has more than 40,000 muscles. In comparison a human being only has 639 muscles total.
- Elephants don't like peanuts.