- Benjamin Franklin attempted to abolish slavery already in 1790.
- America's first slave owner was a black man.
- Part of the White House was built by slaves.
- The pyramids were built by paid laborers. Not slaves. That's a myth by Herodotus, the Greek historian.
- There are species of ants that enslave other ants.
- Ancient Greeks and Romans often bought slaves with salt.
- Most Romans avoided being cruel to slaves. They used bonuses and branding to improve productivity, just like modern employers.
- Before publishing "Don Quixote," Cervantes was captured and kept as slave for 5 years in Algiers. A ransom was paid by his parents.
- A former
- slave ship captain
- wrote the song
- "Amazing Grace."
- In 1833, Britain used 40% of its national budget to buy freedom for all slaves in the Empire.
- In Missouri during the 1860s, a "snowflake" was a person who was opposed to the abolition of slavery.