- Snakes range in size from the tiny, 10 cm-long thread snake, to the reticulated python of up to 6.95 meters (22.8 ft) in length.
- Snakes kill 100,000 people every year.
- More people are killed each year by bees than snakes.
- Snakes can open their mouth up to 150 degrees.
- The mortality rate of a Black Mamba snake bite is almost 100%.
- Powerful acids in snakes' stomachs mean they will explode if given Alka-Seltzer.
- Snakes have flexible jaws which allow them to eat prey bigger than their head.
- Snakes don't have eyelids.
- Snakes use their tongues to smell.
- 51% of Americans fear snakes, most than any other thing in the world.
- Military commandos in Lebanon eat live snakes, a tradition to display their strength and daring.
- More than 20 snake families are currently recognized, comprising about 500 genera and about 3,400 species.
- Some snakes survive for up to two years without a meal.
- The vertebral column of snakes consists of anywhere between 200 to 400 vertebrae.
- All snakes are strictly carnivorous.
- Snakes are immune to their own venom of the venom of close relatives, but not to the venom of other species of snakes.
- The grasshopper mouse eats scorpions, centipedes, snakes and even other mice.