- Every day, nearly 4000 teens in the U.S. smoke their first cigarette while 1,000 start smoking on a daily basis.
- The average smoker in the U.S. spends US$1,500 to US$3,300 a year.
- It's completely legal for
minors to smoke cigarettes
- in the U.S. and parts of Europe, but they can't purchase them.
- are smoked
- every day.
- About 69% of smokers want to quit completely.
- The first European who learned to smoke from the natives was arrested back home because people thought he was possessed by the devil.
- More than a third of the world's smokers are Chinese.
- Tobacco addicts are most likely to consider quitting the habit on Mondays.
- started smoking at the age of eight.
- Smoking makes your hair turn gray faster, a study found.
- The Chinese smoking population is higher than the entire population of the U.S.
- Smoking makes the risk of a heart attack 200% to 400% greater than that of nonsmokers.
- Cigar and pipe smoking is every bit as dangerous as cigarette smoking, and possibly even more dangerous.
- In 2010, a 2-year-old boy from Indonesia, Ardi Rizal, made headlines for having a 40-a-day smoking habit.
- Roughly a third of the world's adult population smokes.
- Smoking makes breasts sag faster than normal by breaking down a protein in the skin called elastin, which gives youthful skin its elastic appearance and supports the breast.
- Rapper Tupac's ashes were mixed with weed and smoked by the members of his hip hop band.
- One Hookah Tobacco Smoking Session Delivers 25 Times the Tar of a Single Cigarette.
- Urea, the main ingredient in urine, is added to cigarettes to enhance their flavor.
- Pantone 448 C, the "world's ugliest color" according to research, is used by many European countries on their tobacco products to dissuade people from smoking.
- Within 48 hours of quitting smoking, your nerve endings begin to regrow and your senses of smell and taste begin to return to normal.