- Smoking causes 1 in every 5 deaths in the U.S. every year.
- A single cigarette contains over 4,800 chemicals, 69 of which are known to
- Every day, nearly 4000 teens in the U.S. smoke their first cigarette while 1,000 start smoking on a daily basis.
- The average smoker in the U.S. spends US$1,500 to US$3,300 a year.
- Smoking costs the U.S. US$333 billion per year in health-care expenses and lost productivity to boot.
- It's completely legal for
minors to smoke cigarettes
- in the U.S. and parts of Europe.
What they can't do is purchase them.
- Exposure to Secondhand smoke causes nearly 50,000 deaths each year in the U.S. alone.
- 15 billion cigarettes
- are smoked
- every day.
- About 69% of smokers want to quit completely.
- The first European who learned to smoke from the natives was arrested back home because people thought he was possessed by the devil.
- Smoking near Apple computers voids the warranty.
- More than a third of the world's smokers are Chinese.
- Tobacco addicts are most likely to consider quitting the habit on Mondays.
- Over 30% of cancer could be prevented by avoiding tobacco and alcohol, having a healthy diet and physical activity.
- Study after study has found that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol and tobacco.
- Freud never quit smoking despite having over 30 cancer surgeries because of it.
- John Adams, 2nd president of the USA,
- started smoking at the age of eight.
- 8.6 million people in the U.S. live with a serious illness caused by smoking.
- Smoking makes your hair turn gray faster, a study found.
- The Chinese smoking population is higher than the entire population of the U.S.
- Smoking makes the risk of a heart attack 200% to 400% greater than that of nonsmokers.
- Cigar and pipe smoking is every bit as dangerous as cigarette smoking, and possibly even more dangerous.
- In 2010, a 2-year-old boy from Indonesia, Ardi Rizal, made headlines for having a 40-a-day smoking habit.
- Even though the Hindenburg was inflated with 7 million cubic feet of highly flammable hydrogen gas, it had a smoking room.
- Roughly a third of the world's adult population smokes.
- Smoking makes breasts sag faster than normal by breaking down a protein in the skin called elastin, which gives youthful skin its elastic appearance and supports the breast.
- The history of smoking can be dated to as early as 5000 BC, and has been recorded in many different cultures across the world.
- If the average NYC smoker gave up smoking and instead invested the money in the SandP500, in 10 years, would have US$52,000.
- Rapper Tupac's ashes were mixed with weed and smoked by the members of his hip hop band.
- One Hookah Tobacco Smoking Session Delivers 25 Times the Tar of a Single Cigarette.
- The world's largest producer of cigarettes is a company owned by the Chinese government.
- Urea, the main ingredient in urine, is added to cigarettes to enhance their flavor.
- The word 'Nicotine' is derived from Frenchman Jean Nicot who introduced tobacco to France in 1560.
Every cigarette you
smoke reduces your
expected life span
by 11 minutes.
the first public