- Smoking causes 1 in every 5 deaths in the U.S. every year.
- A single cigarette contains over 4,800 chemicals, 69 of which are known to
- Every day, nearly 4000 teens in the U.S. smoke their first cigarette while 1,000 start smoking on a daily basis.
- The average smoker in the U.S. spends US$1,500 to US$3,300 a year.
- Smoking costs the U.S. US$333 billion per year in health-care expenses and lost productivity to boot.
- It's completely legal for
minors to smoke cigarettes
- in the U.S. and parts of Europe.
What they can't do is purchase them.
- Exposure to Secondhand smoke causes nearly 50,000 deaths each year in the U.S. alone.
- 15 billion cigarettes
- are smoked
- every day.
- About 69% of smokers want to quit completely.
- The first European who learned to smoke from the natives was arrested back home because people thought he was possessed by the devil.
- Smoking near Apple computers voids the warranty.
- More than a third of the world's smokers are Chinese.
- Tobacco addicts are most likely to consider quitting the habit on Mondays.
- Over 30% of cancer could be prevented by avoiding tobacco and alcohol, having a healthy diet and physical activity.
- Study after study has found that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol and tobacco.
- Freud never quit smoking despite having over 30 cancer surgeries because of it.
- John Adams, 2nd president of the USA,
- started smoking at the age of eight.
- 8.6 million people in the U.S. live with a serious illness caused by smoking.
- Smoking makes your hair turn gray faster, a study found.
- The Chinese smoking population is higher than the entire population of the U.S.
- Smoking makes the risk of a heart attack 200% to 400% greater than that of nonsmokers.
- Cigar and pipe smoking is every bit as dangerous as cigarette smoking, and possibly even more dangerous.
- In 2010, a 2-year-old boy from Indonesia, Ardi Rizal, made headlines for having a 40-a-day smoking habit.
- Even though the Hindenburg was inflated with 7 million cubic feet of highly flammable hydrogen gas, it had a smoking room.
- Roughly a third of the world's adult population smokes.
- Smoking makes breasts sag faster than normal by breaking down a protein in the skin called elastin, which gives youthful skin its elastic appearance and supports the breast.
- The history of smoking can be dated to as early as 5000 BC, and has been recorded in many different cultures across the world.
- If the average NYC smoker gave up smoking and instead invested the money in the SandP500, in 10 years, would have US$52,000.
- Rapper Tupac's ashes were mixed with weed and smoked by the members of his hip hop band.
- One Hookah Tobacco Smoking Session Delivers 25 Times the Tar of a Single Cigarette.
- The world's largest producer of cigarettes is a company owned by the Chinese government.
- Urea, the main ingredient in urine, is added to cigarettes to enhance their flavor.
Every cigarette you
smoke reduces your
expected life span
by 11 minutes.
the first public