- The average ocean depth is 2.5 miles (4 km).
- If we could capture just 0.1% of the ocean's kinetic energy caused by tides, we could satisfy the current global energy demand 5 times over.
- The Atlantic Ocean is big enough to let every person in the US have their own cubic kilometer in it.
- of the oxygen we breathe are produced by the oceans.
- The Bermuda Triangle has as many ship and plane disappearances as any other region of the ocean.
- The U.S. Army admitted it secretly dumped 64 million pounds of nerve and mustard gas agents into the ocean from 1944 to 1970, along with 400,000 chemical-filled bombs and more than 500 tons of radioactive waste.
- 10,000 shipping containers are lost at sea each year and 10% of those hold toxic chemicals which may leak into the ocean.
- A man called Harold Hackett has put over 4800 messages in bottles into the ocean and has gotten 3000 responses back.
- Europe and Africa are only separated by 14.3 km (8.9 mi) of ocean and there are talks of creating the longest bridge ever.
- There's a "sea organ" built on the coast of Croatia that plays music like an organ when waves crash in and out of it.