- Late-night dancing was illegal in Japan until 2015.
- Japan has
- more than 50,000 people
- who are over
- 100 years old.
- The World's
- in Japan
from 578 AD
- Japan consists of
over 6,800 islands.
- Japanese Trains are among the world's most punctual: their average delay is just 18 seconds.
- In Japan
- there are
- more pets
- than children.
- 98% of all adoptions in Japan are of male adults so that family businesses can remain within the family.
- Japan and Russia still
haven't signed a peace treaty to end World War II due to the
Kuril Islands dispute.
- In Japan, teachers and students come together to clean the classrooms and cafeteria.
- In Japan, 685 kids were rushed to hospitals in 1997 after an intense Pokemon episode that caused dizziness, vomiting and seizures.
- In Japan, there's a building with a highway passing through it.
- In Japan, there's a festival that is a celebration of the penis and fertility.
- In Japan, Ronald McDonald is called Donald McDonald due to a lack of a clear "r" sound in Japanese.
- Many Hot springs and public bathhouses in Japan ban customers with tattoos from entering.
- In Japan, they use more paper for comics than for toilet paper.
- There's an island in Japan that's full of rabbits.
- During WW2, Japan received Jewish refugees and rejected the resulting Nazi German protests.
- In Japan, there's a train that "floats" above the tracks by magnetism, reaching 500 km/h (311 mph).
- If you commit suicide in Japan by jumping in front of a train, the family of the deceased will be charged a disruption fee.
- Most streets in Japan have no name.
- In Japan, there's a 'Crying Sumo' contest, where wrestlers compete to see who can make a baby bawl first.
- In Japan, Burger King has an all-black burger.
- Godzilla is an official Citizen of Japan.
- Japan has over 70 flavors of Fanta including 'The Mystery Fruit', 'Genius Energy' and 'Hip Hop' flavor.
- In Japanese, there are at least 20 different ways to say "sorry."
- There were ancient stone tablets in Japan's 2011 tsunami struck areas with inscriptions "Do not build your homes below this point!".
- A Snoopy Museum opened in 2016 in Tokyo, Japan.
- Descendants of Japan's samurai –140 years after the end of the order– remain elites in Japan, research has found.
- In Japan, homosexual relations among Buddhist samurai and clergy were actually quite common.
- During WW2, the Japanese killed more Chinese than the Nazis killed Jews.
- In Japan, tipping a server is considered rude.
- Over a quarter of unmarried Japanese males aged 30-40 are virgins.
- During WW2, Hajimi Fuji volunteered for the kamikaze but was refused because he had a wife and two children. His wife then drowned her two young girls and herself.
- Only 4 modern countries were never colonized by Europe: Japan, Korea, Thailand and Liberia.
- The first time the Japanese people heard their Emperor's voice was when he announced Japan's surrender on the radio during WW2.
- In Japan, a festival called Kanamara Matsuri, or "Festival of the Steel Phallus," celebrates the defeat of a vagina demon by an iron penis.
- You can buy eel flavored ice cream in Japan.
- In Japan, there's a museum of rocks that look like faces.
- A white American became a Japanese citizen, and successfully sued a business that refused entry to non-Japanese for racial discrimination in 2001, winning US$25,000 in damages.
- The city of Edo formally changed its name to Tokyo, meaning "eastern capital", in 1868.