- One pint of donated blood can save up to 3 lives.
- The blood you donate is sold on the open market and it's a US$4.5 billion per year industry.
- Someone in the U.S. needs blood every two seconds.
- A newborn baby has about one cup of blood in his body.
- It would take 1,200,000 mosquitoes, each sucking once, to completely drain the average human of blood.
- HP Printer black ink is more expensive than blood.
- Only female
- drink blood.
- Males are vegetarians.
- There are 100,000 miles of blood vessels in an adult human body.
- James Harrison has donated blood over 1,000 times saving over 2 million unborn babies from Rhesus disease.
- Your heart will pump nearly
1.5 million barrels of blood
during your lifetime, enough to
fill 200 train tank cars.
- Pregnant women have about 50% more blood by week 20 of pregnancy than they did before they conceived.
- A red blood cell can make a complete circuit of your body in 30 seconds.
- Coconut water can be used (in emergencies) as a substitute for blood plasma.
- Our bodies contain about 0.2 milligrams of gold, most of it in our blood.
- of your body weight is in your blood.
- Mosquitoes prefer blood type "O" to any other.
- The Bororo people of Brazil are one of the few groups of people where all have the same blood type: "O".
- In the 16th and 17th centuries, Europeans including royalty, priests and scientists, routinely ingested remedies containing human bones, blood and fat as medicine for everything from headaches to epilepsy.
- Every year, the average meat-eating American ingests more than enough blood to fill a soda can.
- The weird bright dots you see floating when you look at the sky are your white blood cells.
- Spiders, lobsters and snails have blue blood due to the presence of hemocyanin which contains copper.
- White blood cells make up about 1% of your blood.
- Swedish blood donors first recieve a 'Thank you' text when they initially donate blood, but they also recieve a text whenever their blood is used to help someone.