- France once controlled more
than 8% of the world's land.
- Napoleon wasn't short. He was actually above the average Frenchman.
- was originally
- a Roman city
- called "Lutetia".
- The French government gives medals to citizens who have "successfully raised several children with dignity."
- There's only one STOP sign in the entire city of Paris.
- In France, you can marry a dead person.
- There is a small village in France called "Pussy".
- making it the most depressed
country in the world.
- French Toast Isn't French. Joseph French advertised the modern toast but forgot to add the apostrophe.
- Louis XIX was King of France for just 20 minutes.
- The Mosque of Paris helped Jews escape the Nazis by giving them Muslim IDs during WW2.
- There is a town in France called Condom.
- France was the first country to introduce the license plate.
- Potatoes were illegal in France between 1748 and 1772.
- In France, it's illegal to name a pig "Napoleon".
- In France, nearly 96% of high schools have condom vending machines.
- The oldest bridge in Paris, France, is the Pont Neuf, or "New Bridge."
- King John I of France was proclaimed king five months before he was born. He only lived for five days.
- France uses 12 different time zones, the most of any country in the world.
- From 1814 to 1830, the flag of the Kingdom of France was plain white.
- Beauty pageants for children are banned in France. They are punishable with up to 2 years in prison and a €30,000 fine.
- Paris taxi drivers have to pay nearly 200,000 euros for their licenses. That's why there are so few.
- All champagne is produced in the Champagne region in France. Otherwise it is called sparkling wine.
- The official city motto of Paris is "Fluctuat nec mergitur", meaning "She is tossed by the waves but does not sink."
- The Gallic rooster is the national animal of France.
- The Louvre was built in 1190 as a defense against Viking raids.
- Louis XIV of France had a coat with 123 diamond buttons on it.
- France has no official racial statistics, due to being an "ideally colorblind republicanism."
- The Democratic Republic of the Congo is the most populated officially Francophone country, not France.
- King of the French Louis Phillippe survived 7 assassination attempts.
- The first Cannes Film Festival was called off after the screening of just one film due to the outbreak of WW2.
- The French military actually has the best military record in Europe. Out of 168 battles fought since 387BC, they have won 109, lost 49 and drawn 10.
- Napoleon named the Louvre after himself during his reign of France and housed his plunder of Europe.
- Louis X of France died after a particularly exhausting game of tennis. He drank a large quantity of cooled wine and subsequently died of either pneumonia or pleurisy.
- France opened in 2016 what it claims to be the world's first solar panel road, in a Normandy village.