- The record for the longest period without sleep is 11 days.
- Some Deaf People Make Sign Language in Their Sleep.
- Lack of sleep
- can cause weight gain
- of 2 pounds (0.9 kg)
- in under a week.
- Before alarm clocks were invented, there were "knocker-ups" who went tapping on client's windows with long sticks until they were awake.
- A snail can sleep for 3 years.
- It's impossible to
sneeze while sleeping.
- Most people can survive for
up to 2 months without eating,
- but people can only live
up to 11 days without sleeping.
- Sea otters hold hands when they sleep so they don't drift away from each other.
- Many Tibetan monks sleep upright.
- Believing You've Slept Well, Even If You Haven't, Improves Performance.
- Memories take hold better during sleep.
- John Lennon sometimes liked to sleep in an old coffin.
- In 1849, David Atchison became President of the United States for just one day, and he spent most of the day sleeping.
- You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.
- The occurrence of nightmares could be due to heart conditions, migraine, sleep deprivation and beta blockers.
- Morphine derives its name from Morpheus, the god of sleep and dreaming in Greek Mythology, for its tendency to cause sleep.
- In darkness, most people eventually adjust to a 48-hour cycle: 36 hours of activity followed by 12 hours of sleep. The reasons are still unclear.
- of Americans sleep naked.
- of adult Americans have always slept on the same side of the bed.
- Drinking caffeine in the evening delays our brain's release of melatonin and interrupts our circadian rhythm by as much as 40 minutes.
- We lose over a pound of weight during sleep by exhaling.
- Dysania is the state of finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning.
- Somniphobia is the fear of falling asleep.
- The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
- People who procrastinate may be more likely to have insomnia, a study found.
- People who frequently take naps tend to die younger than those who don't, a study found.
- It's illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on in North Dakota.
- 73% of college students report sleep problems, a study found.
- 3 AM is when most Americans are sleeping (95.1%). Conversely, 6 PM is when most Americans are awake (97.5%).
- People ascrib more importance to pleasant dreams about a person they like than a person they don't like.
- People in Britain who wake in the middle of the night are most likely to do it at 3:44 a.m.