- All of the bacteria in our body collectively weighs about 4 pounds.
- The average office desk has 400 times more bacteria than a toilet.
- There're more bacteria in your mouth than there are people in the world.
- The "smell of rain" is caused by a bacteria called actinomycetes.
- Researchers found 1,458 new species of bacteria in belly buttons.
- Sweat itself is odorless. It's the bacteria on the skin that mingles with it and produces body odor.
- A clean mouth has between
- 1,000 and 100,000 bacteria on each tooth.
- There's a breed of bacteria that lives in hairspray.
- A dollar bill has
3,000 types of bacteria.
- Most antibiotics are made from bacteria.
- After two weeks of wear, a pair of jeans will have grown a 1,000-strong colony of bacteria on the front, 1,500–2,500 on the back, and 10,000 on the crotch.
- Offices with more male employees have far more bacteria.
- Computer Keyboards can carry more than 200 times as many bacteria as a toilet seat.
- New bacteria grows on a kitchen sponge every 20 minutes.
- Babies are born with no bacteria in their bodies.
- Beans increase flatulence because they carry a type of sugar called "oligosaccharides", which are hard for bacteria to break down, so they release gas in the process.
- Airplane tray tables hold more bacteria than most typical household items, a study found.
- There are viruses that infect bacteria.
- It's estimated that a third of the world's population is infected with tuberculosis bacteria, but most never have any symptoms.