- Edison electrocuted an elephant in 1903 to prove Tesla's AC current was dangerous.
- The inventor of Vaseline used to eat a spoonful of it every day.
- Leo Da Vinci's studies of river erosion convinced him
- Leo Fender, inventor of the Telecaster and Stratocaster, could not play guitar.
- The first mobile phone call was made in 1973 by Martin Cooper, a former Motorola inventor.
- Charles Richter, who invented the Richter Scale, was a nudist.
- Benjamin Franklin never patented any of his inventions. He reasoned that "we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and this we should do freely and generously."
- Harvey R. Ball, the strongest claimant to having
invented the smiley face, was paid just $45 for the design.
- The man who invented pop-up ads has apologized to the world for creating one of the Internet's most hated forms of advertising.
- the bifocals eyeglasses
- in 1784.
- At the age of 11, Benjamin Franklin invented a pair of swim fins. He was later recognized by his induction into the International Swimming Hall of Fame.
- William Bullock, inventor of the web rotary press, was killed by his own invention.
- The man who invented the Frisbee was cremated and made into Frisbees after he died.
- Alexander Graham Bell invented several flying machines, but his attempts at flying flopped.
- The invention of Glow sticks was based on the work of scientist Edwin Chandross. He didn't know his work was being used for parties until 2013.
- Alfred Nobel, of the Nobel Prize, lost his brother to an accident at his lab. They were working with liquid nitrogen and attempting to create a more stable explosive. Nobel was able to complete his research after the accident and invented dynamite.
- The man who invented the McDonald's Big Mac burger in 1967, Michael "Jim" Delligatti, died in 2016, aged 98.
- The historic news of the first manned powered flight by the Wright Brothers first appeared in the magazine Gleanings in Bee Culture.
- Popsicles were originally called "Eppsicles" after their inventor Frank Epperson. His children came up with the more famous name.
- The 1999 Ig Nobel Peace Prize went to the inventors of cars with flamethrowers, used to prevent carjacking.
- The father of Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon, was a unicyclist in a circus.
- The inventor of roller skates first demonstrated them by hurtling into a party while playing the violin and crashing into a huge mirror.
- The inventor of the web, Tim Berners-Lee, has one regret: adding the double slash "//" to URLs. In retrospect, he says, it was totally unnecessary.
- Celebrated inventor and physicist Nikola Tesla swore by toe exercises – every night, he'd repeatedly ‘squish' his toes, 100 times for each foot.