- If you announce your goals to others, you are less likely to make them happen because you lose motivation, studies confirmed.
- Your mind "rewrites" monotonous speech of boring people to make it sound more interesting.
- 270 scientists re-ran 100 studies published in the top psychology journals in 2008. Only half the studies could be replicated successfully.
- making it the most depressed
country in the world.
- There is a gene
- that can cause you
- to be negative
- most of the time.
- Psychologists examined Internet trolls and found that they are "narcissistic, psychopathic, and sadistic".
- The Truman Syndrome is a psychological disorder in which patients believe they're living in a reality TV show.
- 68% of the people suffer from Phantom Vibration Syndrome, the feeling that one's phone is vibrating when it's not.
- The average high school kid today has the same level of anxiety as the average psychiatric patient in the early 1950's.
- Religious practices, like prayer and attending services, is associated with lower levels of psychological distress.
- No one born blind has ever developed schizophrenia.
- Anorexia has the highest mortality rate of any psychological disorder: between 5% and 20% eventually die from it.
- Research conducted on comedians and funny people have shown they are usually more depressed than average.
- In addition to aches, fever and pains, Tylenol (acetaminophen) also alleviates psychological pain, such as social rejection.
- A study found that fewer than 10% of people say they're not perfectionists
- Around 6% of people have narcissistic personality disorder. They have a strong sense of self-importance and lack empathy.
- Gratitude can boost dopamine and serotonin, just like antidepressants.
- Sarcasm promotes creativity, a Harvard study found.
- 82% of people would feel more confident approaching an attractive person if they had their dog with them, a survey found.
- Boanthropy is a psychological disorder where people think they're cows.
- Research shows that
just thinking about a Plan B
- can make it less likely
that you'll achieve Plan A.
is the fear of having a phobia.
- Interrogative self-talk --e.g. Will I go for a run today?-- is more motivating than declaring something to be true, a study found.
- Saying "Thank you" makes people see you as a warmer person, a study found.
- Most drivers think they are a better-than-average driver.
- Researchers have found that optimism is a teachable skill and that you can be the one to teach yourself.
- 1 in 5 American CEOs have clinically significant psychopathic traits.
- Our memories can be so easily manipulated that in just 3 hours you can be convinced you committed a crime in your teenage years, a research found.
- People who swear more often are more honest than those who don't, a study found.
- Pronoia, the opposite of paranoia, is the delusion that everyone is secretly plotting your success.
- "Transabled" people cut off their own limbs to become disabled. That makes them feel more comfortable in their own body.
- "Wrap rage" is the anger and frustration felt when you are unable to open packages.
- The "IKEA effect" is the tendency for people to place a disproportionately high value on objects that they partially assembled themselves, such as furniture from IKEA, regardless of the quality of the end result.
- Research shows that, for luxury brands, the ruder the sales staff, the higher the sales.