- If you announce your goals to others, you are less likely to make them happen because you lose motivation, studies confirmed.
- Your mind "rewrites" monotonous speech of boring people to make it sound more interesting.
- There are more than 400 distinct phobias well recognized by psychologists.
- Your favorite song is probably your favorite because you associate it with an emotional event in your life.
- The type of music you listen to affects the way you perceive the world.
money on others
than spending it on yourself
a study concluded.
- The key to happiness is spending your money on experiences rather than possessions, according to studies.
- Romantic love is biochemically indistinguishable from having a severe obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Phobias may be memories passed down through generations in DNA, according to a new research.
- of pregnant women crave nonfood items, an eating disorder called pica.
- 270 scientists re-ran 100 studies published in the top psychology journals in 2008. Only half the studies could be replicated successfully.
- There's a rare mental disorder where people imagine that they are decomposing, dead or non-existent.
- Researchers are
debating on adding
to the list of mental disorders.
- 1 in 5 people in France
has experienced depression
- making it the most depressed
country in the world.
- There is a gene
- that can cause you
- to be negative
- most of the time.
- Psychologists examined Internet trolls and found that they are "narcissistic, psychopathic, and sadistic".
- The Truman Syndrome is a psychological disorder in which patients believe they're living in a reality TV show.
- The brain treats rejection like physical pain, according to scientists.
- "Erotomania" is a psychological disorder in which the affected people believe a famous person is in love with them.
- 68% of the people suffer from Phantom Vibration Syndrome, the feeling that one's phone is vibrating when it's not.
- Paris Syndrome is a psychological disorder, mainly suffered by Japanese people, caused after realizing Paris isn't what they expected.
- The Jerusalem syndrome is a group of psychological phenomena triggered by a visit to Jerusalem, Israel.
- The average high school kid today has the same level of anxiety as the average psychiatric patient in the early 1950's.
- Religious practices, like prayer and attending services, is associated with lower levels of psychological distress.
- No one born blind has ever developed schizophrenia.
- Anorexia has the highest mortality rate of any psychological disorder: between 5% and 20% eventually die from it.
- Hallucinatory 'voices' seem to be shaped by local culture. In the U.S., the voices are harsh and threatening while those heard by schizophrenics in Africa and India tend to be more benign and playful.
- Research conducted on comedians and funny people have shown they are usually more depressed than average.
- Severe Depression can cause us to biologically age more by increasing the aging process in cells.
- About 1 million Japanese men are estimated to be locking themselves in their bedrooms for years, creating social and health problems, a condition called "Hikikomori."
- In addition to aches, fever and pains, Tylenol (acetaminophen) also alleviates psychological pain, such as social rejection.
- Crying makes you feel better, reduces stress, and may help to keep the body healthy.
- The feeling of Certainty can be triggered without the need for facts or reasoning, using electric stimulation over a specific part of the brain.
A study found that fewer than 10% of
people say they're not perfectionists
in any area of life, so perfectionism
is a common trait.
- Around 6% of people have narcissistic personality disorder. They have a strong sense of self-importance and lack empathy.
- People with unfortunate initials, such as P.I.G. or A.S.S. have significant lower life expectancy, due to psychological stress related to childhood bullying.
- Gratitude can boost dopamine and serotonin, just like antidepressants.
- Sarcasm promotes creativity, a Harvard study found.
- Antidepressant drugs, already known to cause sexual side effects, may also suppress the basic human emotions of love and romance.
- 82% of people would feel more confident approaching an attractive person if they had their dog with them, a survey found.
- Boanthropy is a psychological disorder where people think they're cows.
- Living in sight of water can make you calmer, happier and more creative, a study found.
Research shows that
just thinking about a Plan B
can make it less likely
that you'll achieve Plan A.
is the fear of having a phobia.
- Interrogative self-talk --e.g. Will I go for a run today?-- is more motivating than declaring something to be true, a study found.
- Saying "Thank you" makes people see you as a warmer person, a study found.