- 3.4 million people
- each year from
- water-related causes.
- People in Africa and Asia have to walk an average of 3.7 miles (6 KM) to collect water.
- The average toilet uses 6 litres (1.6 gal) of clean water in a single flush.
- Nearly 700 million Chinese people
- drink contaminated water.
- About 1 in 9 people lack access to an improved water source.
- of the World's Water Is Drinkable.
- An average swimming pool loses 1,000 gallons (3,785 L) a month to evaporation and other causes.
- In Peru, there's a billboard that creates drinkable water out of thin air.
- Your bones are composed of 31% water.
- Water itself does not conduct electricity well, but the impurities found in water do.
- Cold water is heavier
- than hot water.
- of the world's fresh water is in Antarctica.
- There is a water reservoir floating in space that is equivalent to 140 trillion times all the water in the world's ocean.
- Two-thirds of the water used in the average home is used in the bathroom.
- Approximately 75% of human feces is made of water.
- Each foot contains about 250,000 sweat glands.
- The probability that you in any glass of water will find at least 1 molecule of water once drunk by Cleopatra is practically 100%.
- Drinking too much water can cause a
- water intoxication.
- Water constitutes only 0.07% of the earth by mass or 0.4% of the earth by volume.
- Water is light turquoise blue
- due to the weak absorption in the red part of the visible spectrum.
- 20% of the world's unfrozen fresh water is in a single lake: Russia's Lake Baikal.
- Hot water can freeze faster than
- cold water, in some circumstances.
- The first known vending machine dates back to the 1st Century AD. It accepted a coin, then dispensed holy water.
- It takes up to 2,900 gallons of water to make a single pair of jeans.
- 86% of holy water tested in Austria contained fecal matter, mostly from people's hands.
- The expiration date on water bottles is for the bottle, not the water.
- Bill Gates Sponsors a Machine That Turns Poop Into Drinking Water.
- Giraffes can go longer without drinking water than camels can.
- The world record for holding one's breath underwater is 22 minutes.
- Only about .003 percent of the water on Earth can be used by humans.
- The boiling point of water
- at the top of Mt. Everest is 71 °C (160 °F).
- The skin is 64% water, muscles and kidneys are 79%, and even the bones are watery: 31%.
- You can save 2,190 gallons of water per person per year by only flushing the toilet once a day.
- A man revived 5 rivers and brought water back to 1000 villages in India using native water-preservation techniques.
- Washing dishes by hand use almost 7 times the amount of water as a modern dishwasher.
- The average American golf course consumes around 312,000 gallons of water per day.
- In 2013, two physicist managed to
- "tie" water into knots.
The number of H2O molecules
in 10 drops of water
are equal to the number of
all the stars in the universe.
- The U.S. uses less water now
- than it did in 1970.
- It takes about 50 glasses of water to grow the oranges to make one glass of orange juice.
- A new model of the chemistry of the early solar system says that up to half the water now on Earth was inherited from an abundant supply of interstellar ice as our sun formed.
- Scientists believe cats are afraid of water because their ancestors lived in an area with very few large bodies of water and never had to learn how to swim.
- The chlorine in swimming pools isn't what causes red eyes. It is the chlorine binding to the bacteria in the water.
- Approximately 70% of the freshwater used by humans goes to agriculture and livestock.
- California's interconnected water system is the world's largest, managing over 40,000,000 acre feet of water per year.
The average shower wastes
20 gallons (75 L) of water.
- It takes about 37 gallons (140 liters) of water to grow the coffee beans and process them to make one cup of coffee.
- It can take 2,700 liters of water to produce the cotton needed to make a single T-shirt.
- Living in sight of water can make you calmer, happier and more creative, a study found.
A reservoir of water 3 times
the volume of all the oceans
is located deep beneath
the Earth's surface.
In the Middle Ages
BEER was consumed
more than water
as the alcohol
made it safer.