- About 2,000 pandas are found in the wild.
- 99% of a Panda's diet consists of bamboo.
- The giant panda is actually a bear.
- Pandas can poop
- up to
- 40 times
- a day.
- Out of their natural habitat more than 60% of male pandas exhibit no sexual desire at all.
- The West first learned of the giant panda in 1869, when a French missionary received a skin from a hunter.
- Female pandas are fertile only up to 3 days a year.
- One of the reasons the WWF chose the Panda as their logo was to
save printing costs.
- A panda fur is worth between US$60,000 and US$100,000 on the illegal trade market.
- Pandas eat bamboo largely because they have no umami taste receptors. Meat tastes bland to them.
- In ancient times, Chinese people feared pandas and described them as metal-devouring black-and-white "tapirs."
- Pandas have one of the highest bite forces of any carnivore.
- Pandas walk with their front paws turned inward.
- Grown pandas have to eat as much as 80 pounds of bamboo per day to meet their nutritional needs.
- Pandas are considered to be endangered, with about 1,600 in the wild and another few hundred in captivity.
- The female panda may only be fertile for a few days each year but during this period she will mate dozens of times with multiple males.
- Panda researchers have to wear panda costumes to work with cubs.
- A newborn panda weighs less than an iPhone .
- More than 60% of pandas born in captivity die within a week.