- is partially or totally desert.
- "Sahara" means "desert"
- in Arabic
- so the "Sahara Desert"
- is the "Desert Desert."
- It snowed in the Sahara Desert in 1979.
- Sand from the Sahara is blown by the wind all the way to the Amazon, recharging its minerals. The desert literally fertilizes the rainforest.
- There were once camels roaming in the deserts of Arizona.
- About 46,000 square miles of arable land turn to desert every year due to climate change and practices such as forest clear-cutting.
- Only about 15% of the Sahara Desert is covered in sand.
- There is a secret swimming pool in the Mojave Desert that anyone who finds it can use.
- The world record for crossing the Sahara Desert by bicycle was set in 2011 by a British man who made the 1,084-mile journey in 13 days and 5 hours.