- In Iceland, you can hand-draw a map on a piece of mail without an address, and it will still make it to its destination.
- Some historians believe that Columbus visited Iceland's Snaefellsnes Peninsula in 1477 and there learned of Viking explorations of the New World.
- About 300,000 pedestrians, the population of Iceland, pass through Times Square every day.
- It's illegal in Iceland for parents to threaten children with fictional characters.
- Iceland has more books published and read per person than anywhere else in the world.
- Iceland and the Faroe Islands are the only countries in the world where there are no mosquitoes.
- Icelandic has changed so little in the last 1,000 years that Icelanders today can easily read 12th-Century texts.
- Strip clubs and lap dances are banned in Iceland.
- In Iceland, up until 1987 there was no television at all on Thursdays.
- Iceland is very depressed: it has the world's highest rate of antidepressant use.